With more than 100 years cumulative experience in studies of southern California wildlife, the Department of Birds and Mammals offers a unique combination of resources and skills, and a wide variety of services available by contract. We offer the following collections, curation, and education-related services:
- Access to our complete reference collection of skins and skeletons of birds and mammals of California, Arizona, and Baja California.
- Identification of California, Arizona, and Baja California birds and mammals to species and subspecies.
- Collection and preservation of all California birds and mammals, authorized by state and federal agencies.
- Preparation and preservation of voucher specimens.
- Seminars and classes on bird and mammal identification and biology.
- Technical writing for peers and the lay public.
- Access to reference collection of mammal scat and tracks.
- Identification of mammal scat and tracks, often critical to wildlife-corridor studies.
- Local/project-specific species guide preparation and production
Please visit our BioServices page for a full list of field study and research services.
Please visit the San Diego Zooarchaeology Laboratory’s page for details on services related to identification of animal bones recovered from archaeological sites.